Men have given the hairstyling industry a much needed boost over the past few years, as they have become more confident about venturing from the barber’s chair to other forms of male grooming. A quarter of salon customers are now men. We are in an age were men have become more style conscious and have increased spending.
“Guys are now getting their hair done more frequently than I’ve ever seen in my 25 years running this salon. They’re wanting sharper, trendier haircuts, favoring shorter styles.” said Mr Polti, a salon owner in Edinburgh. “They’re also looking at different kinds of products for styling their hair. Gone are the days of just buying a tube of gel. We’ve seen a big upturn in guys using hairspray, which is seen as looking more natural than gel.”
Here at Greater Than Sparrows Salon and Medspa, we love to cater to our male clients, just as much as our female guests. Every male cut includes a precision haircut, followed by an invigorating shampoo with warm aromatherapy facial towel and relaxing scalp massage. Call 804-379-4000 today to ask about our current men’s cut special and be sure to schedule your appointment with one of our fabulous stylists!
Have you recently suffered a botched haircut? Are you in that weird ‘in between’ phase, impatiently waiting for your hair to grow out? Is your hair fine and totally unable to hold a curl? Are you getting married soon and wanting to have long flowing locks or an intricate updo? If you have answered yes to any of these questions, then hair extensions may be the answer for you! Read on to find out more about this life changing service.
Just the facts:
- Extensions don’t only to add length. You can choose to add volume instead (or in addition to length), which is perfect for fine, limp or thinning hair.
- Turn that bob into a mane! If your existing hair is at little as 3 inches long, you can get extensions, although the extent of your transformation may be limited if your hair is very short.
- Extensions can be braided in, taped in, attached by a silicone bead, or — if you only need a follicular boost for a special event — clipped in.
- You can also add highlights or color — with shades ranging from mild to wild — to your hair with the use of extensions.
- The process isn’t painful, and the hair is super lightweight, so no pain and no heavy feeling!
How much does the service cost?
Price varies depending on the individual and how many packs of hair they may need. Call for a free consultation!
What to look for:
“[The goal with] extensions is to have the most natural look you can achieve,” says Tony Promiscuo, owner of Atlanta’s Godiva Salon, who notes that while synthetic types are most plentiful, human hair is superior in its viability. (In addition, synthetic hair cannot typically be heated, so styling options are limited — meaning forget the blow dryer and curling iron.) Here at Greater Than Sparrows we use 100% natural remi Hair.
“Individual strands allow a customized, more natural, look,” says celebrity hairstylist and salon owner Philip Pelusi of New York City’s Tela salon. “You can play with the color or length, and fill in spots that need it more than others — it’s a more accurate way to get the desired look.”
Caring for your hair extensions
- Human hair extensions can be treated as real hair, but more gently.
- Use a special brush (often a loop brush) made just for extensions, so you don’t damage the new hair or the bond. We carry extension brushes here at Greater Than Sparrows for your purchase.
- A gentle shampoo is recommended, and use cool water to help minimize tangles. Our Eufora or J Beverly Hills brand products work beautifully!
- A light conditioner will help reduce tangling and keep your new hair supple. Eufora Smooth’n is our favorite conditioner for extensions.
- Sleep with your hair in a loose ponytail or braid to avoid bed-head and knots.
I am sure by now you have heard the buzz about this jewel box of a salon called Greater Than Sparrows Salon and Medspa. It is this glittery little gem tucked in the heart of Westchester Commons Main Street, Midlothian VA. Having opened fairly recently (September 14, 2015 to be exact), this beautiful salon and medspa is creating a name for itself at an unfathomable speed. With over 1,300 Facebook followers and some of Richmond’s top stylists, nail techs, massage therapists, and estheticians, and offering everything from hair, skin, nails, massage, spray tanning and plastic surgery, Greater Than Sparrows is very quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with!
I very recently had the supreme pleasure of sitting down with the owner, Sammie Leary, for a round of 5 Questions. Here’s what she had to say:
1. Why did you decide to become a hairstylist?
I was half way done with dental school when I was in a life threatening car accident that caused me to re-evaluate my life. I then decided that life was way to short to not do anything other then the things that I truly loved. I then started to search my passions, talents, and interests when someone mentioned to me that I was able to do their hair better then a professional. That’s when it dawned on me that hair was my niche! I had been doing friends hair since I was 16 years old but never considered it for a career until this moment.
2. How long have you been in the industry?
I had only been licensed a year when I started my own business which ultimately led to the opening of Greater Than Sparrows Salon and Medspa. I have been in the beauty industry for quite some time beforehand practicing on friends and family and doing hair shows for Kevin Murphy.
3. What’s your favorite thing to do in hair?
Color and extensions! It just makes sense to me. I love experimenting, breaking rules, and creating new shades and ways of doing things. I don’t like anything boring I’m not satisfied unless I create the perfect eye catching color that turns heads!
4. If you weren’t a stylist what else would you be doing?
5. What’s the story behind the name ‘Greater than Sparrows’?
The name actually came to me years ago before I even switched careers ,knowing I was leaning toward becoming a hair stylist. I was reading the bible and I read “for even the very hairs on your head are all numbered; therefore you are worth more than many sparrows”. I immediately ran down stairs and told my mom that one day I would open a salon and name it “Greater than Sparrows”. So many people lose their identity to this cruel world and forget their value. This scripture is all about knowing your self worth. This is the message I want everyone to hear in hopes they believe in themselves again.
It was an absolute pleasure to have a chance to sit and chat with Sammie. Not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but she has a heart of gold and her passion for the hair industry truly shines in everything she does. You can find Sammie and all of her talented staff at 15725 WC Main St, Midlothian VA 23113. Call 804-379-4000 or schedule online through the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/sparrowssalonandmedspa/. The lovely and talented staff can not wait to serve you!